You may have heard of self-affirmations, but have you considered adding this practice to your daily routine? Positive affirmations are positive phrases or statements that are used to challenge negative thoughts. Practicing positive affirmations is extremely simple and can have long-lasting benefits to your mental wellbeing. You can use positive affirmations out loud to yourself to motivate yourself, encourage positive changes in your life or boost your self-esteem. Positive affirmations are especially helpful to those who find themselves getting caught up in negative talk. Based on the ‘self-affirmation theory’, regular practice (1-5 times a day) of self-affirmations can improve stress levels and can lead to positive academic and career achievement. Next time you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed, try giving self-affirmations a go.
Here are ten examples of positive self-affirmations that can boost your wellbeing for short- and long-term benefits:
- I believe in myself, and trust my own wisdom
- I am a successful person
- I am confident and capable at what I do
- My life is taking place right here, right now
- My anxiety does not control my life. I do.
- I always see the best in others
- I’m gifted with and surrounded by amazing friends and family
- I opt to rise above negative feelings and ditch negative thoughts
- I am in charge of my thoughts, and I don’t judge myself
- I accept and love myself, thoroughly and completely