Working in the heart of London, we consider ourselves sharp-elbowed-expert-commuters… sweating it out on the Central line and squeezing onto the Northern line we’d much rather listen to people on a podcast than the silence (and occasional snores and profanities) of my fellow commuters. I’ve sat enviously looking at individuals looking zen with their air pods in when I’ve foolishly forgotten my headphones and now they never leave my backpack.
Of course, it depends on your interests and preferences when it comes to choosing a podcast. Do you want easy listening, or something deeper and more compelling? Perhaps you want to feel calm or more energised for your day? Either way there is something for everyone. ,
We have compiled a list of our favourites:
1. At home with…: two fashion, beauty and lifestyle bloggers take tours around the houses of some of the industry’s brightest and best, rifling through personal, items, wardrobes and fridges- discussing with them their lives.
2. The Emma Guns Show: On this podcast, journalist and broadcaster Emma Gunavardhana gets deep and meaningful with expert guests from the health, wellness and beauty fields
3. Comments by Celebs: From the viral Instagram account @commentsbycelebs comes the Comments by Celebs podcast, Emma Diamond and Julie Kramer- the minds behind the Instagram account and self-titled celeb experts, discuss all things pop culture. This podcast gives honest opinions and an unfiltered approach to what’s going on in Hollywood. With games and hypothetical celeb scenarios, the gossip is fun and highly relatable.
4. Ctrl Alt Delete: Emma Gannon wrote her book Ctrl Alt Delete and her in her podcast she chats to her guests about their relationship with the internet – previous guests have included Lena Dunham, Gillian Anderson and Zoella.
5. Getting curious with Jonathan Van Ness: if like me you’re a huge queer eye fan, then this podcast could be ideal for you, the always hilarious and fabulous Jonathan combines humour and curiosity into an educational podcast, laughing whilst learning new things- as Jonathan and expert guests in their respective fields discuss anything and everything they’re curious about.
6. Is it just me?: The team who bought you Glamour’s Hey it’s OK… present Is it just me? Each week Jo Elvin, James Williams and a celebrity guest debate the funniest, weirdest and most pressing dilemmas: from social media to mental health.
7. Outspoken Beauty: Outspoken Beauty is being billed as the UK’s most honest, straight talking beauty podcast and features interviews with celebrities, editors and influencers in the beauty industry. (Including Myleene Klass, Lewys Ball, Sali Hughes and Lorraine Candy)
8. RuPau: What’s the tee with Michelle Visage: RuPaul and his cohost Michelle Visage discuss pop culture, advice, beauty advice and behind the scenes of their hit show, RuPaul’s Drag Race.
9. When life gives you melons with Maya Jama: Maya Jama hosts this podcast about work, life, sex and boobs. Featuring all-female guests, the panel talk pay rises, love stories and the quarter life crisis.
10. Talk stew with Reggie Yates: the show that sees Reggie Yates hanging out with friends old and new, chatting about anything and everything
11. Lady Lovin’: Lady Lovin’ is your source for female empowerment. Jilly Hendrix, Greta Titelman, and Lo Bosworth tackle a variety of topics from Relationships and Sex, to Health & Wellness to Business and Start Ups.
12. Him and her podcast: hosted by entrepenuers and brand builders Lauryn Evarts Bosstick and Michael Bosstick. On this show, you’ll find a mix of audio entertainment including interviews with celebrities, entrepeuners, influencers and experts.
13. Betch slapped by the Betches: Whether you want to know why the Bachelor franchise is amazing but also a life ruiner, how to stalk your ex on social media, and also groundbreaking reports like what Ariel Winter is doing with her life
14. Anna Faris is Unqualified: Unqualified is an American advice podcast created and hosted by actress Anna Faris. The podcast consists of interviews with celebrities and cultural figures, followed by personal phone-calls to listeners asking for relationship and other advice
15. Goal Digger with Jenna Kutcher: A bit of inspiration for your commute. The live-workshop style business podcast that is helping thousands redefine success and chase bolder dreams. You can train from the experts how to dig in, do the work, and tackle your biggest goals along the way